Top 10 Things to Buy for Your First Ski Holiday
If next winter is going to be your first venture into the world of skiing or snowboarding, you are probably wondering what you need to buy to take with you on your ski or snowboard trip.
There are some great shops out there and some are offering great value ski gear if you are trying to save some pennies.
So what are the essentials that you need to purchase first –
- Good quality ski socks – if your feet are warm then the rest of you will stay warm. Wool or synthetic materials are best for your ski socks. You will need at least two pairs of these (only wear one pair at a time)
- Base Layers and Mid layers – thermals are a must especially in resorts where the temperature gets very low. Leggings and a long sleeve fitted top for wearing under your mid layers. Layering is important and you can put on and take off as the weather depends. Good mid layers like fleeces, sweaters and hoodies or soft shells are great but best avoid cotton products.
- Gloves/Mittens – waterproof gloves or mittens are a must. This is one item where we would recommend that you don’t compromise on the cost, there is nothing worse than having cold hands on the mountain. Shop around and do your research on what is recommended and has good reviews.
- Goggles/sunglasses – depending on the weather conditions goggles can come with different lenses for sunny days or flat light days so if you can afford a spare lens with your goggles then these are a good buy. Also a good pair of sunnies for when you stop off at the mountain restaurants for a bite to eat or an apres drink.
- Helmet – you can hire these in resort but if you are serious about your ski-ing then it is always good to have your own helmet. You can always match it to your goggles!
- Ski pants – salopettes need to be comfortable and have enough room in them for those bends – these need to be water resistant and warm and hard wearing.
- Ski jacket – this can be worn on and off the slopes so you can splash out a little more on this – just remember if you buy from a well known shop then often you will find your twin on the slopes! Warm, waterproof and a material like goretex is an excellent choice.
- Beanie hat – you will need a hat to keep your head warm
- Face mask/snood/neck bandana – for those very cold days when you need to cover part of your face from the cold – you can get some great styles of these and some people find it more comfortable to wear one under their helmet too.
- Backpack – a small backpack is handy on the mountain – you can put in some water, snacks, sunnies, spare hat and tissues and there are lots of lightweight options out there. Don’t forget the suncream as the sun is very strong in the mountains and you want a goggle tan not a red face.
We recommend you hire your ski or snowboard equipment on your first holiday until you see how you progress.
Now you’re all kitted out time to enjoy the slopes!