10 Fascinating Facts About Andorra
1. Due to its size and location sandwiched high up in the mountains between Spain and France, there is still a lot people don’t know about Andorra. Here are just some of the fascinating facts about Andorra…
2. For those not familiar with Andorra it is easy to assume it’s part of some other country but Andorra is a country albeit a small one. It covers an area that is 50 times smaller than Wales. If you want to drive from one side of the country to the other it’s only about 40km by road so you would be looking at less than an hour to drive.
3. Andorra has 65 summits above 2,000 metres not bad for a country of its size!
4. Catalan is the official language of Andorra making it the only country in the world where this is the official langauge.
5. Andorra La Vella, Andorra’s capital is the highest capital city in Europe.
6. Did you know there are seven shuttle buses a day going from Barcelona airport to Andorra and three a day from Toulouse. In addition to private transfers you will have plenty of travel options when you land in Andorra’s neighboring countries – at Ski Andorra Holidays we can of course arrange your transfers for you.
7. In Andorra you should be relatively safe from any risk of military conflict. The country hasn’t been in a war for more than 1,000 years. It did declare war on Germany in World War One but nobody noticed and then nobody was aware it hadn’t declared peace with Germany either. They finally got around to it in 1957.
8. Andorra has a population of just 85,000 which is just a bit more than the population of a small city called Chester in the UK which has about 80,000 people living in its boundaries.
9. Andorra is well known for its tobacco production and its status as a tax haven means cigarettes are far cheaper to buy than in neighbouring countries.
10. Andorra does not have a national bank and the euro is its currency.
Despite having the Euro as its currency Andorra is not a member of the EU. It does, however, have a special relationship with the EU.